Friday, August 20, 2010

An Enemy Like Me

I can't tell you how many times I have sang the song, "I am a friend of God." But there is an opposite of that too. At one time, I was His enemy. It wasn't that I just had not received Christ, or that I was choosing to make my own life choices, I was actually His enemy. Colossians 1:21 says, "This includes you who were once far away from God. You were His enemies, separated from Him by your evil thoughts and actions." Whoa....that was deep. I read that in a Bible Study last week, and it floored me.

I remembered the time before giving my life to Jesus when I really DID do my own thing. I wasn't concerned with God's will for my life, and I certainly didn't understand grace or the sacrifice He had made by sending His Son to die for me.

And if you think back in your life to that time, you will have to come to the same conclusions I did. Because we all must see the truth of that Scripture. None of us were born Christians. We all have that time in our lives that we were enemies of God...diametrically opposed to His will.

Enemy is defined as "one who is antagonistic to another," "an adversary," "a hostile force." I know, it's hard to think of yourself that way. But that's who we were before Christ....lost, in darkness, unable to save ourselves, helpless.

But then God's grace steps in and through Him we are taken from death to life. His grace is sufficient and I thank Him everyday for it, for giving me what I truly do not deserve.

I have peace and joy in my life. I know that I was created with a purpose and that my life is precious to God. I know that God has a plan for me and for each of us. I am not an accident and neither are you. We were not born, just to live and then die...and go into non-existence. God has you on this planet, in this place, space, and time...for such a moment as this. What are you going to do with it?
You are dearly loved. God has a plan for you. So my WOW moment for today is "WOW, God!! I can't believe you chose me. You loved me even when I was your enemy. And you have given my life more meaning that I ever thought possible."

My response to that love. Show me your will Lord. Help me in this day to live a life that pleases you.

What's your response?


[PHOTO CAPTION] Yep...that was me. Some years ago (smile). Believe it or not, I think I was about 18 in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment