Thursday, July 22, 2010

Happy Meal Smiles

Do you know those kinds of smiles your kids get when you tell them you're stopping by McDonald's for lunch? No matter how else the day has gone...they just break out in this large grin. I'm still not sure if it's the french fries, the chicken nuggets, or the new toy...but you can't beat that look.

I had the same look last week when a new friend stopped by my book table at the Children's Ministry Expo, held at the Lexington Center July 15-16, 2010. As she walked slowly, but deliberately toward me, I knew I recognized her...but couldn't quite placed the face. Then as she got closer, and reminded me of our encounter in St. Louis....my face broke out in that Happy Meal smile as the recognitions set in. We grabbed hands, hugged, and started jumping up and down like typical high school girls....(I guess you never really grow out of it).

It was just the total incredibleness of the moment. You see Barbara and I had just met about two weeks prior when I attended the International Christian Retail Show in St. Louis. Again, another event promoting "10 Things Every Kid Should Know About God." We me while standing in line to get a free copy of a book. Along with Karen, a filmmaker, we also met in line, we talked and talked as if we had known each other for a life time.

It was truly a WOW moment. I was soaking it all in as they talked about their kids and more importantly how they affirm their children every day. That is something I struggle with, but I was amazed by these women. And I truly felt when I walked away that it was God-ordained. That He was speaking to me through them...reminding me of the power of words and the impact they can have in our lives and the lives of our children and those around us.

I took that message back home and was already beginning to implement some of things that they said in the conversation. Now...don't get me wrong, they were not "instructing" me...we were just three women standing in line talking about our families, why we were at the show, and how amazing that the line was moving so fast. We did stand in line for 30 minutes. But by daughter loved the book.

That is just how God works. He gives us divine encounters....we just have to recognize them. So when I ran into Barbara just two weeks later...WOW God!! He is truly amazing.

I look forward to our friendship....and in anticipation to see what God is up to! He doesn't do anything by happenstance, consequence, or by the way...I'm in for the ride.

Think about your life this week. Has God given you a divine encounter? Did you recognize it? Are you in for the ride?

I hope so.

P.S.
see Barbara's website at http://www.adnamis.org/,




No comments:

Post a Comment