Friday, May 17, 2013

Haiti--Contrasts Day 4

Thought all night about a boy I met here......a little boy who taught me yesterday to sing "God is so good." They thought he might have malaria, he was just taken to the hospital. I just prayed for him every time I woke up and first thing this morning.

I thought of "10 Things" and our support of Malaria No More. This is not the full circle moment that I want unless is it that organizations like that have helped them have the medicine they need to help him. But honestly, I just want him to be OK.

The crazy thing was when the doctor at the Travel Clinic showed me the map of places in Haiti affected by malaria, nearly the whole country was colored in. Now how is it possible that I have now sitting in my backpack medicine to prevent malaria and the likelihood that I will would ever get it or come in contact with it is this 1 week while I am here.

But he lives here and can be impacted any time, he is at risk daily.....yet why am I the one with the medicine? Then all night I thought of our group discussions and how we talked about the utter poverty here and all that we have in the U.S. I guess it is somewhat of American guilt when you come to a place like this.

But then when I thought of kids in Clark County, where I work, or even kids in Lexington.....no child should go to bed hungry, or feel unloved, or not have a place to call home. So I hope that we don't get so focused outward that we miss that there are kids living in poverty right in our own country.

I just finished reading the book "The Mighty Miss Malone" by Christopher Paul Curtis, which dealt with childhood poverty during the Great Depression. But the book is recent and the author mentioned that in 2011 there were 15 million homeless kids in America. I think about reading "The Glass Castle" and kids in America having to eat out of the trash, having to basically make a life on their own.

Now I am not saying we should not care about the kids in Haiti, but I am saying we should be aware that there is work to do at home and abroad. So my perspective is "to whom much is given, much is required."

I am glad to be American. I could have been born in Haiti, or Ethiopia, or Darfur, or South Africa. But I was not. I am grateful.....now what is my response? Why has God blessed me to have so much and what does He expect that I will do with it? How does this change how I approach life, how I live it? What I do now?

I can do something today whether big or small. I can love on these kids. I can serve them and their caregivers and be open to God's leading. The boy I mentioned at first just walked by......

Boy....did that bring a smile to my face. I was so happy to see that child!!! God is faithful. He does answer prayer. So today.......go HARD....or go HOME!

To support Malaria No More, visit www.malarianomore.com
 
A portion of each English copy of "10 Things Every Kid Should Know About God" that we sell goes to Malaria No More. We have been able to donate more than $500 to this cause. Thanks for your generous support of these efforts. We can change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment