Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September to Remember

I love September and this is why. It has a lot of personal milestones for me. And in particular this year marked many high points.

You see, on September 4, 1987....25 years ago this month, I accepted Christ as my personal Savior. That one decision changed the total trajectory of my life. Being a follower of Christ has impacted every aspect of my life....my passion for my life's work, the wife and mother I have become, my view of the world. Every day I thank God that on that day in 1987, He spoke LIFE into me and truly changed my life for eternity.

Then on September 5, 1992...20 years ago this month, I married the love of my life. Sebastian is my very best friend. And the Scripture that was on the front of our wedding invitation is truer today than it ever was on the day we said our vows, "I have found the one my heart loves." We still laugh together, and sometimes even at each other. We share a deep, abiding faith in Christ which is the glue that holds our marriage together. And we hold dear our family and supporting each other to follow our heart's passion. I am grateful that God led this southern boy to choose me...I am truly blessed.

Finally, on this day, September 11, 1996....16 years ago today, I gave birth to my first child, our eldest son, Ellis. He is still a delight to me. I bit more of a challenge than on that day in 1992...when I didn't have a clue about what it meant to bring another life into this world, or the great responsiblity that came with shepherding that young life for so many years to come. He has given me some of my proudest moments and some of my deepest heartaches. But I am grateful that God has allowed me to see him grow up to this point. He is so smart and gifted and I truly believe he is destined for greatness. I am glad to get a glimpse of the young man he is becoming.

Yes, 11  years ago on this day, I sat glued to my TV as so many around the world watched the tragic unfolding of 9/11. And I also knew that soon I would have a 5 year old coming home who expected to celebrate, who had no understanding of terrorists, or senseless murders, of tragedy on a mass scale, eclipsed only by the heroism of that day and the coming together of our country in the days and months to follow. And so on that fateful day, we did buy pizza and balloons and picked-up the Star Wars cake to celebrate 5 years that were the blessing of our son Ellis.

And then this year, on September 1, 2012, my very best friend from college walked down the aisle for the very first time, finding the truth in God's Word...."He who finds a wife, finds a good thing!" Congrats to my friend Torrey and his bride Kortnee.

And in just a few weeks, on September 30, we will celebrate the birth of our twin boys who would have turned 14 this year. Two beautiful little boys that we only got to know for a little while, but look forward to seeing again in eternity. We love you Ethan and Elliott, and you will never be forgotten.

So September holds a special place in my heart. I do count myself truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment